Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day. I spent mine with some friends at Grant's Winter Formal. Now, back at school after the three day weekend, forecasting, choosing classes to take in the coming year, is the primary topic I hear being discussed in the halls and within classes. I personally really enjoy forecasting and looking ahead, and I'm especially excited because I will be deciding on my Senior year schedule! Currently I'm configuring different lists of classes and weighing the pros and cons of each, and trying to figure out a number of AP classes that will be challenging but not overwhelming.
Last week was Doernbecher week at SMA, a week of fundraising for Doernbecher Children's Hospital. My favorite aspects of Doernbecher week are the themed dress up days and the lunchtime activities. This year, the event was Portlandia themed, so days included "Fred and Carrie Day" (aka Twin day) and Keep Portland Weird Day (an excuse to wear hipster or weird clothes). During the week, lunchtime activities can be attended to gain points for your class, since part of the week is a competition among classes. I especially enjoyed attending the dodgeball games between different grades, and the final showdown between a student team and a faculty team. The staff won! In the end, the Seniors won the week, and us Juniors came in third. Next year, when I'm a senior, I plan on doing everything I can to help us win!