Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Back to School at SMA!

Despite the fact that I haven't even been in school for 2 full weeks, it feels like I've never left! The first day of classes was especially interesting for me, since this is my first real back to school experience at SMA. I attended another Portland high school my freshman year, and missed the start of sophomore year at St. Mary's because I was living abroad, so I've missed out on opportunities at SMA like joining first semester activities, and participating in back to school traditions like the welcome assembly, so I'm extra excited to see how this year unfolds! 

The first day was a whirlwind of reading syllabuses, teachers mispronouncing names despite their best efforts, and writing down the first assignments for the year. One thing I love about SMA is that the school gives you great opportunities to challenge yourself, for example, I am able to take 3 AP classes and 1 honors class this year, an option I wouldn't have had the chance to try at my old school. So far I'm really enjoying my schedule, even though the homework can be a little daunting! It's nice to know that all around me girls are taking challenging classes as well, and doing amazing extra circulars and activities.